The best meal kit delivery services have tasty food options with reasonable prices. You select a menu and they box up the ingredients, along with recipes, and they generally deliver them fresh to your doorstep. Many of these companies offer big discounts — up to $50 — on your first order or two. Here are our favorites.
Summary of 5 Best Meal Kit Delivery Services
|Meal kit service||Feature||Where to learn more|
|Hello Fresh||Best for ease of planning||HelloFresh|
|Blue Apron||Best for variety||Blue Apron|
|Home Chef||Best for beginners||Home Chef|
|Sun Basket||Best for organic options||Sun Basket|
|Dinnerly||Best for cheaper meals||Dinnerly|
Hello Fresh, $15 off for email list subscribers
- Meal options: Includes family meals and veggie options.
- Choices: You can choose from around 15 options each week.
- Meal prep times range from about 20 to 40 minutes. You can choose the level of recipe difficulty, which helps with planning.
- How much does Hello Fresh cost? Around $60. Typical boxes are $8.99 per serving when there are six servings with three recipes, plus $6.99 shipping.
- Special offer: Get $15 off by subscribing to the Hello Fresh email list. Other discount offers may also be available.
- Best for ease of planning.
Blue Apron, as low as $7.49 per serving
- Meal options: Includes vegetarian and Weight Watchers friendly recipes, as well as family meals for four people.
- You can sign-up for free Blue Apron recipes, even if you don’t use the Blue Apron delivery service.
- Many delivered meals can be prepared in 30 minutes or less.
- Offers wine delivery.
- How much does Blue Apron cost? Regular menu options start just below $50 per box, which covers four meals with two recipes. Other options may bring costs down as low as $7.49 per serving.
- Special offer: Free shipping when you select at least six meals a week.
- Best for variety.
Home Chef, meals priced from $6.99
- Meal options: Includes kits for vegetarians, seafood eaters and carb-conscious eaters.
- Choices: You can choose meals that are tagged “Ready in 15” as well as customer favorites. Instructions are easy to follow, which makes this a good choice for beginning home cooks.
- How much does Home Chef cost? Meals start at $6.99 per serving.
- Special offer: Per Home Chef, customers may spend less than $50 a week on their order.
- Best for beginners.
Sun Basket, Free shipping on first delivery
- Meal options: Includes family meals, as well as paleo, lean and clean, gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, pescaterian and Mediterranean options.
- Choices. You can choose from 18 menu items each week, including 30 minutes recipes.
- Offers organic produce, hormone-free meats and wild-caught seafood.
- How much does Sun Basket cost? A standard menu option with six meals and three recipes is around $72 per box.
- Special offer: Free shipping on your first delivery.
- Best for organic options.
Dinnerly, Less than $5 a meal
- Meal options: With a menu as low as $4.29 per person, Dinnerly is one of the more affordable options available. The service uses digital recipe cards instead of paper, cutting down on all the extra paper and packaging that seem to come with home meal kits.
- Choices. You can choose from around 16 menu items a week.
- How much does Dinnerly cost? Meals are less than $5 per person, but there are shipping costs. A two-person box with three meals would be just under $40 tota. You can get up to five meals a week, and there are also family box options available.
- Special offer: Less than $5 a meal.
- Best for cheaper options.
What are the cheapest meal kit delivery services?
The cheapest option per meal is Dinnerly, at $4.49 a plate. Other meal delivery services have low prices, but shipping bumps up the price. If you are looking at other benefits, like a larger variety of recipes per week, or feeding more than two people per week, the other meal options may be a better match for just pennies more.
Be sure to take advantage of the coupon offers on each of these meal delivery services. You can try them for a discounted price.
Which meal delivery service is easiest?
We found that Home Chef has meals that are easy to follow, with simple instructions, good-quality photos and organized ingredients. There is an online compliment to each week’s menu, so you can learn a little bit about why they were chosen and behind-the-scenes information about each week’s selection.
That said, all the meal services on our list make cooking easy, especially for busy cooks during the week. They can help you come up with interesting, easy meals to help you get out of a cooking rut. hey also help take the guess work out of answering the “What’s for dinner tonight?” question, and that may be the biggest shortcut of all.
Are meal kit delivery services worth it?
Meal delivery services can save you money if you commit to follow your weekly plans and cook the meals you select each week.
While you still end up paying for ingredients, you can save gas money on multiple last-minute trips to the grocery store to pick up ingredients you might otherwise have forgotten. You can also save by not being tempted to pick up unneeded items on all those trips to the supermarket.
Many meal kit delivery services deliver fresh product. That’s part of their appeal. But you’ll want to plan to cook that fresh produce and not go bad. Otherwise, you would have just wasted your money on uneaten food. Ultimately, you get to decide if meal kit delivery services are worth it for you.
Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Thank you for supporting our sponsors, so we can bring you more great content.